Living away from home comes with its own set of responsibilities. Making sure you’re on top of your schooling, finances, and looking towards a bright future. One thing that is commonly overlooked is our health.
It's so important to stay in touch with your body and stay alert to your environment. For most, the day to day environment around you seems like a blur. We have just recently grown more aware of our global impact and have started taking action by increasing more earth-friendly ways of living. However, we are skipping an important step- and you don’t have to step very far.
Mold is ubiquitous. Mold is a type of microscopic fungi that can be found anywhere. Mold creates tiny spores that reproduce and spread. When these spores are inhaled, it can bring more harm than commonly known. The toxicity of certain molds can be amplified as time goes by. The longer your environment’s mold goes untreated, the more harm done to your lungs, your sinuses, and your overall body. Unbeknownst to many, the home environment can be a harmful host of these hidden dangers that are making residents sick in their very own home.
It’s your first year of independence as you unpack your stuff into your newly acquainted dorm room. You hurry to classes you’ve enrolled for, you tackle new opportunities and you have choices in what feels like the beginning of your life.
All of those dreams were tragically taken from an understudy of the University of Maryland last November. Terrifying claims that mold might be at fault may make you consider your own health and how the environment can influence you.
Olivia had been sick most of her first semester living in her dorm that was infested with mold. Mold exposure is known to cause respiratory issues, even trigger conditions such as thrombophlebitis, vasculitis, arthritis, Crohn’s disease, and sinusitis.
Unfortunately, these individuals with compromised immune systems or existing respiratory illnesses are at an expanded risk. Autoimmune disorders occur when someone’s immune system spins out of control and targets their body instead of fighting foreign invaders like viruses, toxins, or bacteria.
It is estimated that 25% of Americans immune system can’t fight these intruders. They can even overwhelm the immune system leading to the individual to suffer infections that may become fatal. This makes identifying the cause a real challenge, and when mold is hidden, it is extremely easy to miss the link between toxic mold exposure and a worsening health problem.
In the case of Olivia Paregol, she had suffered from Crohn’s Disease (an autoimmune disease) before contracting Adenovirus from the University’s campus.
What is Adenovirus? Symptoms, such as a sore throat, sneezing, runny nose, cough, headache, fever, and chills. Adenoviruses can infect the respiratory system, eyes, gastrointestinal tract, and bladder. In some cases, adenoviruses can affect the brain and spinal cord. When infections are more severe, symptoms can last much longer and if treated improperly, could be life-threatening.
The 18-year-old student lived in one of the 4,600 dorms that were later evacuated for cleaning. This Adenovirus 7 outbreak was accelerated and sustained by mold.
Olivia’s condition crumbled after more than a week of relentless coughing, a severe sore throat, fever, and chest congestion. Her lungs began to fill up with fluid.
After a short hospitalization, Olivia continued to fight for her life until her Kidneys and Liver failed. She passed away on November 18, 2018.
These cases of aggressive mold and the pathogens related to exposure to them are becoming more common. Illness from mold are one of the biggest health issues impacting us today that is not addressed effectively in the mainstream medical system. It’s so important to be in touch with your surroundings, and link your environment with your health.
If you’re unsure the safety about your environment- please see out free quick guide below. For a more in-depth inspection contact (a certified professional.)